In recent years, there have been a lot of successful movies and TV series about vampires and werewolves, so we can understand that people are fascinated by these supernatural creatures. One of the most popular shows about immortals is True Blood. The series is based on the idea that society should pay more attention to the concept of equal rights for all.
True Blood ran on HBO from 2008 to 2014. According to the script, the events take place in the fictional town Bon Temps, Louisiana. It basically presents a story with real-life correspondence: vampires are trying to get used to living among humans like minorities are trying to live in a society that respects their rights.
Ever since the debut, True Blood became a sensation. In 2010, the leading actors appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine. Their appearance was quite shocking because they were naked and covered in blood. In addition, the show was spiced up with all the necessary ingredients for controversial talks: sex, violence and humor.
Considering all these factors, it’s no wonder that True Blood became HBO’s highest rated show since The Sopranos. The main characters are Sookie Stackhouse, a hybrid creature who is part fairy and part telepathic human and Bill, a 173-year-old vampire. The two actors who played these parts, Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer fell in love and got married in real life.
Next to the love story between Paquin and Moyer, other interesting facts have drawn the attention of the public. Maybe you haven’t heard about them yet, so let’s mention a few.
- The show was inspired by a trip to the dentist.
- Anna Paquin really wanted to star in this show, so she did her best to get Sookie’s part.
- Charlaine Harris, the author of the book which inspired the series, was not so interested in vampires. She would have preferred to focus on people and the way they might interact with supernatural creatures.
- Allan Ball, the show’s creator, considered that True Blood is about intimacy and primal desires.
- One of the actors, Alexander Skarsgård, appeared completely naked in a scene, although he had a choice not to.
- Rutina Wesley didn’t have any problem with the fact that her character was killed until the end.
- Denis O’Hare learned a lot of history for creating his character’s backstory.
- Joe Manganiello got the part of Alcide with help from a blog.
- If you really want to feel like a vampire, you can buy the True Blood drink online. Of course, it doesn’t taste like blood; it tastes like orange soda.
- Anna Paquin received an Oscar for her part in ”The Piano”. She was 11 years old.
- One of the actors left the show because he didn’t want to play the part of a gay character.
- One of the actresses demanded ”carb-free” blood.
- Everyone hated the ending.
True Blood is not for everyone, but those who have seen it were impressed. In the end, it is just a TV series, so treat it as such!